Wedding bells, white dresses, and your pooch! This is the recipe for a paw-fectly unforgettable wedding day. If you’ve been wondering, “Should I include my dog in my wedding day?” You’ve made it to the right place! Furry friends are like family, and family are often a big part of your wedding day! So, let’s talk about the Details, Do’s, and Dont’s to remember when including your pup during the best day of your life.
Weddings are all about the details. Consider these things when adding a four legged friend into your special day!
- Does your pup get stressed in crowds? Are they easy going? This should be your #1 determining factor in having your dog part of the wedding. Stressed out pooches can stress you out-and no one wants that added to their wedding day!
- Do you have someone who you can entrust to be your “canine keeper” for the day? They will be in charge of getting the dog to and from the venue. They can also be in charge of feeding, walking, and picking up any potty messes. Make sure it is someone you trust! There are companies that do this, or you can entrust a friend or family member with caring for your fur baby.
- The outfit! You don’t need to spend a ton of money on this. Consider checking out dog costumes around Halloween. You can also look on more affordable websites like Temu, or Shein to find the perfect outfit.
- Let your photographer know! We are professionals at adapting, but knowing in advance will allow us time to mentally prepare shots for your pooch!
Do’s – Tips & Tricks
- Definitely make sure your dog is groomed the week-of. Nobody will want to pet a stinky pup! Plus, them looking their best will set your pictures up for success.
- Pack LOTS of treats for your doggo to munch on before, during, and after the ceremony. A full pup is a happy and calm pup!
- Make sure whoever your “canine keeper” is, they only have that job during the entire day! Try to avoid giving this task to a bridesmaid, groomsmen, or your parents. A great option could be giving this task to your bridesmaid/groomsmen’s parents, if they do not have a task already! That is what this bride and groom did with this pooch I am highlighting!
- Go with the flow. Dog’s are unpredictable. If they bark, or whine, let it happen! If they potty near the site, make sure there are bags to clean it up. Don’t let your baby stress you out, they can be just as nervous as you might be!
- Don’t forget water. Especially during a summer wedding!
- Don’t forget to ask your venue what their rules are on pets. Some venues do not allow them at all, and others allow them with a few guidelines to follow.
- Don’t leave their potty behind. Imagine a guest, or even worse, the bride or groom steps into their mess!! Give your “canine keeper” a full roll of poop bags and ensure they know where to toss them once its used.
- Don’t forget to snap some unforgettable pictures with your pup!
Other Ways to Include Your Pets
If you end up at a wedding venue where you cannot have your dog, cat, or other furry friends, here are some other ways to include them in the festivities!
- Make specialty cockTAILS or mockTAILS in their honor for your bar. See what I did there?
- Add their picture to cocktail napkins or koozies! There are lots of great designs you can choose from, or get custom-made on Etsy.
- Make a treat baggy station in your pet’s honor! This makes an affordable and unique PAWTY favor for your guests to bring home with them. Plus, this is something you can use if you have extras at the end of the night!